Monday, December 29, 2008

Post 1--Finding information is good preparation

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you live in Idaho .

--From an e-mail I received, where this and other humorous statements were attributed to Jeff Foxworthy. If I quote this e-mail again, (and I probably will) I will likely only list them from Jeff Foxworthy. Wheww... glad that's done. It was a pretty funny e-mail.

Ok, so the title isn't so exciting, but at least it's accurate. I thought I would share for the blog's debut post a little info that my husband shared with me about learning about road conditions in the state of Idaho. If you go to the Idaho Transportation Department website, you can get immediate information on road conditions around the entire state. As I write this, there are a lot of "alert" symbols dotting our fair roadways, which is not surprising considering the time of year. What is surprising is that apparently some fairly optimistic individuals still have roadwork signs up... Whatever the case is in your area, don't get caught in a situation where you run into a closed road that you could have avoided if you had prepared with the proper information. Of course, weather can change quickly, so it's good to have preparedness items in your car in case of an emergency, which would be good information for another post. Find out what the road conditions are for where you are and where you are going--you know what they say about prevention...

For those not in Idaho, I would not be surprised that information like the above is available in your state as well. On the original list that I saw, I saw some other states' information listed, so it would be worth checking out for your area.

I am hoping that I will be able to link to websites of other people in Idaho who are interested in sharing emergency preparation information. Let me know that you are out there, and we'll try to get everyone better prepared--many times information that begins as being specific to Idaho will also be helpful to others around the country and world as well.

Check out the road report before you drive--drive safely, and drive prepared. The e-mail quoted above also says:

If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in Idaho . ---Jeff Foxworthy

But who wants to if you don't have to? There's information out there that can make life easier, if you take the time to find it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for starting the Idaho Preppers Network. If you need some post written let me know.

Many people are waking up to the "Troubled Times" that are coming but are completely overwhelmed and have no idea what to do.

So start with the basics and lead them precept by precept.

Let me know how I can help.

Idaho Homesteader

Bullseye said...

Highway information is vital this time of year as is preparedness for highway travel. Welcome to the Preppers Network. I will link you to our page. Thanks for helping keep the good people of Idaho informed and prepared.

riverwalker said...

Way to go! Good Luck Marie!

RW

Marie said...

Idaho Homesteader--I would welcome a post from you!! If you send a post in a comment, I will cut and paste it on to this blog, and label it as a post from you...ex. "Subject" Post--Idaho Homesteader". I'm not as technologically savvy as I would like to be, but I figure it will work that way.
What would you say to someone who needs to start from the very beginning? As you indicated, sometimes people don't know where to start. Posts on whatever subject with the basics (food storage, emergency lighting, heating, water, etc.) would be very useful, helpful and appreciated. I'll be addressing some of these subjects myself, but different ideas and perspectives help more people. For instance, I don't have livestock of any kind, and raising animals for live storage may be something that others in our area may be able to start if they get the right information--I figure with a network we can gather all sorts of information that will improve what we are already doing in terms of emergency preparation, or will help us to start new endeavors that will help us in the future.
Sorry to be so long-winded--I'm just very glad to hear from you, and will be very happy to have your input. I would like very much for this blog to be successful so that there are more people prepared for possible hard times...thanks for your help in advance!
If you start your own blog, I will link to it here as well--if you don't have one, I will add you as a contributor if you would like.

Bullseye--Thanks for the link--all kidding aside, driving can be treacherous around here, especially with the snow coming as it has been the last little while--hopefully everyone will stay aware and be prepared, because no one starts out expecting problems.

Riverwalker--Thanks, I hope this works out as well as the networks you and Bullseye and ^Jayce over at Utah Preppers have already set up--here's hoping that more states get their own networks going!

Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement--it's greatly appreciated!

Marie