Monday, March 16, 2009

Got water?

At Albertson's last week in their flyer I saw that they have gallons of water for 10/$10. That's with the Albertson's card, but after I bought the less than 10 bottles they had on the shelf, I found out that it's normally only $1.19 anyway. Still and all, I wanted some more drinking water in storage, and now I have some, and the dates on it are pretty good. If you don't have any water storage at the moment, the general rule that I've heard is that a survival amount of water would be a gallon of water per day per person, and that's the bare minimum--it doesn't account for any water for cleaning, washing, etc. I figure even $1.19/gallon for water packaged in sturdier plastic isn't a bad price. I don't know if that regular price requires a card or not.

One of the reasons that I worry about having enough water in storage that is ready to use is the possibility of a pandemic---a widespread devastating illness such as what occurred in 1918 with the flu, that spreads quickly and disrupts just about everything in everyday society. I recently received an e-mail that had links to information about pandemic preparedness, one of which is Pandemic Preparedness Planning over at Provident Living. There are links on that page to more information about preparing for a pandemic, including Pandemicflu.gov, and a link to a video by BYU-Idaho (if you live in Rexburg, you can't really get more local :) about prevention of Avian flu.

It's difficult (and can be expensive) to store enough water for emergencies. However, if your emergency situation turns out to be a pandemic, it will probably will be worth all effort and expense that you put into water storage now to be able to remain at home and not risk exposure by venturing out to find/buy some. If you have sickness already in your home, it will help with caring for the ill and lessen stress for everyone if you have a safe, reliable source of water in your own home to work with. Why the stress on water if you have running water in your house? My understanding is that if a pandemic takes place, it is highly likely that no one, including those who make sure that the water that is coming out of our faucets is safe for use, will be venturing out to do their jobs. Will it get that bad? I don't know--but the better prepared that we are, the less we will have to worry about.

Got water? It would be hard to overestimate its value in any kind of emergency, not only in a pandemic. So important that I would be surprised if there weren't more posts on it to come....

10 comments:

kymber said...

Marie...water is one of my biggest concerns as well! That's why awhile back I had the conversation with my hubby about getting gutters installed on our roof, rainbarrels underneath the gutters and a good Berkey water filtration system. (Not trying to plug my blog - just want to share information with you - you can read more about our set-up on the Nova Scotia Preppers Network post dated Saturday, February 7, 2009 entitled "Water"). Our set-up may not work for everyone...but I just wanted to share with you that since we put all of this into place - my mind has been eased! I mean, think about it, we are even filtering and drinking melted snow now! No more reliance on taps or bottled water!
Please keep up the thought-provoking and informative posts!

idahobob said...

No just water, but distilled water.

If you are preparing for flu or any other nasty thing that the PTB can and will unleash upon us, you should be making your own colloidal (ionic) silver. Just make sure that you use distilled water. At .89 a gallon at Albertsons, it is the cheapest and most effective antibacterial and antiviral that you can have, that you can also make yourself.

We make and use our own all of the time. Our grown children and all of our grandchildren use it to.
Sometimes I think that we give away more than we use.

Bob
III

Marie said...

Kymber--I checked out that post you mentioned, and I am impressed with your setup! I don't know if it rains enough around here to make a setup like that work in the summer, but the snow does come down in the winter. Now you've got me thinking about a portable water filtration system--thanks for your comment and for pointing out that post. That is some good emergency preparedness in action.

Bob--I actually recently bought some bottled colloidal silver, but I have a lot to learn about it still. From what I understand, it's supposed to act like an antiobiotic and strengthen your immune system, and I wanted to be sure I had some in storage. Of course, knowing more about it is always helpful...when you say make your own, are you talking about diluting the bottled silver for personal use, or something else? In any case, thanks very much for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Marien good post and comments. We keep bottled water from the store, water I bottled in glass gallon jugs( From wine) under the stairs so they are safe and 55 gallon drums. We also have a Rain Catchment system on both the house and garage. You just cannot have enough water Since rain seems to be getting a little fickled about where and when it falls.


Carl

idahobob said...

Marie...

No, we do not purchase colloidal silver. It is just way to expensive and it is so much easier and cheaper to make your own.

What it takes is a generator, silver wire, and distilled water.

The generator is essentially three 9 volt batteries, wired in series. These are attached to 2 probes made from .999 silver wire. The probes are put into a 1 pint mason jar, filled with distilled water, and 1 hour later, viola, you have made your own colloidal silver.

Considering the cost of distilled water, (.89 a gallon) against the cost of buying colloidal silver, (last I looked it was about 32.00 a quart) for those of us who are prepping, it just makes more sense to make our own.

We have been doing it for several years, take the stuff daily, and there are none of the dreaded side effects (blue people)

If you wanna get a hold of us directly, we will be more than happy to share all the info that we have.

Bob
III

Marie said...

Carl--You're right about the rain being fickle, and around here, where it is kind of a desert climate, it is rare anyway. We should probably set up a catchment system ourselves--I just wonder what the legal ramifications for that are around here, because I've read that in some states it's illegal to catch your rain water. You sound well-prepared--we need some more 55 gallon drums ourselves, and the latest I saw at the local national chainstore was around $50, but still better than some prices I've heard, around $80. The sooner we get that done the better...

Bob--Wow! I would never have known that you could do something like that, and I'm always looking for ways to perpetuate my supplies. Thanks for sharing--and when I am ready to set something up, I will appreciate you sharing more details...

Thanks very much to both of you for your comments--if you wrote blogs, I'd be reading them!

Marie

Anonymous said...

If you plan on bugging out,stocking up on water is a waste of space.For bugging in,great! Your bugout spot should have a water source.Water weigh's about 7 pound's a gallon,how big is your truck? My truck has a 40 gallon gas tank,so assume a 55 gallon drum of water in the back,then food for a long term?? Then a generator,the gas can's,tool's,etc.. Just for the record,I have a dually with a V10 motor,I can tow anything..I just won't waste the space for a bunch of water.

Marie said...

Anonymous 11:33-- Excellent points--even if you are bugging in, it is sometimes difficult to find the containers/space you want for water storage, but definitely worth the effort. It would be ideal to have a water source whether you are bugging in or out, and the only thing that I can think to add to what you've said is to make sure that your water source is clean and/or you have a water-purifying system in your plans. Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous 7:46-- Can't beat free, and if someone sees something that they need, I hope that they head over there--generous of M.D. Creekmore!

Anonymous said...

Water is very important. I would also quickly stock up on food. I think it would be very wise to get your food storage asap. I saw an article recently about drought and crop failures and was stunned at the potential famine coming our way. You should look at this article and see what you think www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=DEC20090210&articleId=12252

Marie said...

Anonymous--Thanks for the link--I looked up the article, and it has some pretty scary numbers in it. I agree that water and food storage is crucial, and hope that everyone is doing everything within their means to get some storage in. Thanks for your comment!