Monday, December 21, 2009

Gotta love basic breads...

Sorry it's been so long--computer issues and general busy-ness and whatnot have made for far and in-between posts. Thanks for coming back to read!

You may remember when I listed some rice and bean recipes, because it's always good to know some recipes for the staple foods. Thought it might help someone out there somewhere to list the bread recipes I've found to be easy and successful in my house, some of which are more basic than others..... In no particular order:

1. Beginner's bread over at Hillbilly Housewife, which was my first loaf-type bread, and which has served me well. There has been occasion where I was too impatient to let it rise as much and baked it anyway, and it was still good. We all know whose fault the not-as-high-loaf was.... :)

2. Angel biscuits, the recipe for which is found in this post on my other blog.

3. This recipe for fry bread. This recipe was mentioned in the post already mentioned on my other blog as well.

4. This roll recipe, which was my first successful foray into the world of yeast. Takes eggs and butter, so not as basic, but there are sales on butter around just now. Just put some butter in my freezer after I was able to get it at a good price.

5. Buttermilk biscuit recipe, found here, at Safely Gathered In. I just add 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of milk to get the buttermilk, so pretty food storage friendly.

That's just five, and I may add more later. I have one that I wrote down, but which no longer links to the same location, so I will have to go in search of the link and see if I can find it. Just underlines the importance of printing out/writing out recipes that you find work for you so that you can continue to make them without the help of links/the computer....

Hope these help someone, and hope that everyone is enjoying the Christmas season! The recipes linked are easy--it's what I look for, so wishing you all the best if you try them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just getting started in being prepared. Thank you for the great info. Have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

Marie said...

Anonymous--I wish you all the best in being prepared--I've got a lot left to learn myself, but everything I learn/try makes a difference, even if it is a little at a time. Thank you for your kind words, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!